A clogged bathtub is frustrating, especially when you want to take a bath or hop up in the shower. Fortunately, there are many ways you can go for if you want to know how to unclog a bathtub drain. Bathtub drainage is a common problem that you all must have experienced. Firstly, it starts to drain slowly, you think that it will go away, but instead, it just gets worse and worse until it's completely blocked.
How to Unclog a Bathtub Drain?
You don’t need to wait for plumbers to fix your clogged tub. There are many ways you can go for to unclog bathtub drain. The three best and easy ways to repair drainage issues by using products that you can easily find in your home are mentioned below. You will learn the three ways on how to unclog a bathtub drain.
1. Use Baking Soda
Steps to use baking soda for unclogging shower drain are:
- Clean the stopper or strainer. You'll find soap residue and hair accumulated underneath the stopper or strainer, which is located over the drain. Remove the stopper by lifting & twisting it and remove the filter.
- Boil some water in a kettle and pour the boiling water into the drain. Be careful while doing this as the water can splash. Now see if it is draining normally.
- If hot water did not help in unclogging, pout 1 cup vinegar and ¼ cup baking soda down the drain,
- Wait for some time. Now pour some boiling water again into the drain, and that’s it, you are done.
2. Use a Drain Claw
If your bathtub drain is clogged, you can use a drain claw to unclog it.
- Remove the filter. Soap and hair are often accumulated below the filter, which is located over or in the drain. Many filters can be removed manually, but some have screws also that are needed to be removed, remove the screws with the help of a proper screwdriver.
- Remove the stopper. Some drains have tub stoppers instead of strainers. They are easier to remove as they do not require any screws. Remove the stopper by lifting and twisting it.
- Remove the gunk around the stopper and strainer. Clean any soap or hair scum, you might have to scrub the stopper and strainer depending on how dirty it is.
- Insert the drain stick into the drain. When the stick is inserted deep down, it will hit a drain trap, keep moving the stick.
- Pull out the drain stick. The drain claw has many small hooks that will grab the entire gunk.
- See if the bathtub is unclogged, and water is going down correctly.
- If this method worked, then replace your stopper or strainer. Place the stopper back into the drain. Strainers are needed to be screwed back on top of the drain.
3. Use Chemical Drain Cleaners
If your bathtub is clogged, but you don't want to call plumber, then using drain cleaners is the best option for you.
- Chemical drain cleaners help in unclogging drains with chemicals such as sulphuric acid or potassium hydroxide. When chemical drain cleaners are correctly used, they clear most of the drain clogging. Buy a cleaner that is specifically made for bathtubs.
- Carefully read the instructions that are written on the chemical drain cleaner. Some chemical cleaners may require you to wear goggles for the protection of your eyes, pour only the mentioned amount only. Reading the instructions is very important to use the chemical cleaner properly.
- Remove all the standing water from the bathtub.
- Pour the required amount of chemical cleaner into the drain. Be careful while doing so, as the cleaner can splash back on you. Wear gloves at the time of handling any chemicals. Clean up the spills quickly.
- Wait for some time. Let the cleaner sit for some time in the drain. You can set a timer to keep track of time.
- Check if the drain is now working correctly or not. Turn on the cold water faucet in the bathtub; the water should quickly go down the drain.
Learn How to Remove a Shower Drain Stopper
If you are still searching on how to unclog a bathtub drain, if these ways are not working for you, then you must contact our professional plumber for help. Do not mix different chemicals as it can be hazardous. Also, do not try another chemical cleaner if the first cleaner did not work for you.
Baking soda might not work for you as this works for small clogs only. 24H Plumbing Pros is the best solution for you if how to unclog a bathtub drain is not working for you.
They provide the best plumbing services in a reasonable amount. For any plumbing related queries and issues, you should contact 24H Plumbing. Their service is very east, fast and, guaranteed. They provide services like replacement repair and pump maintenance. Contact 24H Plumbing Pros for any drainage issues.